72% of the Consortium’s annual revenues (approximately $2.7 million) are derived from funds received through the U.S. Department of Education and the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education to provide higher education access services for disadvantaged students and adults across the state.
A Premier College Destination
Home to more than 30,000 college students each academic year, Greater Worcester is an active, vibrant and energetic community. In addition to its diverse student population, Consortium member institutions attract more than 16,000 full and part-time employees to the region. Downtown Worcester is in the midst of a dynamic revitalization with new development projects such as CitySquare. You can catch the latest concerts at the Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts, DCU Center or the Palladium or sample the restaurants on Shrewsbury Street or in the Canal District.
In addition to thrilling NCAA Division I, II and III competition, Worcester Sharks (American Hockey League), and Worcester County Wildcats (semi-pro football) call Worcester home. And THIS year (2013), Worcester will see regional and national competitions in gymnastics, hockey, rowing, running, cycling, Special Olympics and Little League. Keep track on our special Sports Year page.
For those in search of a premier college town the choice is Worcester—and the time is now!
Worcester Rocks video
- Worcester Calendar of Events
- WOO Card (discounts to explore Worcester's cultural scene)
Where does Worcester rank?
When the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston CEO, Eric Rosengren, speaks of the renaissance and recovery Worcester is experiencing, we know that it reflects community-wide commitments. The Colleges of Worcester Consortium continues to play a vital role in education and workforce pipeline and impactful economic development efforts. We join with others in celebrating the accolades and national recognitions heaped upon Greater Worcester.
- Based on the Wall Street Journal’s findings, the Worcester Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had the 7th biggest 10-year growth in college-educated population, with 32.7% holding a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- The Brookings Institution reported in September 2012 that the Worcester MSA had the 13th-smallest “education gap” among the nation’s 100 largest metro areas. Educational attainment measurements suggest how well an area is meeting employers’ needs now and in the future
- Richard Florida’s 2012 edition of The Rise of the Creative Class, Revisited ranks Worcester 14th out of 20 of America’s Most Creative Cities for its artists, innovators and diversity.
- MSN Real Estate's Buying Advice column listed Worcester MSA among the 5 Best Housing Markets in the country in 2012.
- Forbes.com listed Worcester MSA as #10 in the country for Best Cities to Raise a Family.
- Forbes.com also listed Worcester as the 2nd happiest U.S. city in which to work based on a survey by CareerBliss.com in 2012.
- The Milken Institute scored Worcester MSA as the 2nd biggest gainer in the 2011 Best Performing Cities rankings, noting that Worcester is experiencing spillover from nearby Cambridge due to Worcester’s lower housing and business costs.
- With nearly a million people coming through Worcester’s DCU Center every year, it has been ranked in the past as one of the highest grossing arenas in the United States by Billboard Magazine.
- The Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts consistently ranks in the top 50 venues internationally for ticket sales as reported by POLLSTAR.
For more information about Worcester, New England’s 2nd largest city: www.worcesterlogo.org
- Buy Worcester Now: A private/public partnership in which buyers who purchase a home in Worcester will receive discounted services, and in some cases, up to 100 percent financing at below market rates with no down payment.
- Central Massachusetts Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Destination Worcester: A focused endeavor to showcase and sell Worcester as a destination to meeting & convention planners, and event & sports organizers.
- Taste Worcester: Recommendations and reviews of Worcester restaurants
- Welcome to Worcester: Right Place, Right Time: Business Opportunities, Development Projects, Cultural Events, City Guide and more!
- Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce: The Chamber supports existing businesses and promotes economic development in the Worcester region.
- Worcester Regional Research Bureau: Independent, non-partisan research and analysis of public policy issues in the Greater Worcester region